|Cape Point Route
|Cape Winelands Route
|↓ Craft Art Routes
|→ Rates & Dates|
HIGHLIGHTS on our CAPE DAY TOURS
- Discover hand-picked trailblazers, whose products are both art and craft
- Participate in workshops such as the uniquely African genre of wire art
- Meet local crafters / resourceful upliftment projects / fair trade practises
- Hear from visionary designers/ pioneering trend setters / inspiring product developers
- Enjoy special access / behind-the-scenes tours / private collections
- Travel around emerging precincts, landmark locations & iconic sights
STYLE OF TRAVEL
- You get an insider’s perspective …
- Discover out of the way places & regional gems
- Visit hidden treasures as well as well-trodden locations
- You are escorted by a knowledgeable guide in a relaxed yet informed way
- We look after you, with your safety and comfort our first priority
- We want you to experience memorable moments
- To book, just get in touch
REVIEW – See More
”Our trip to South Africa was as close to perfect as I’ve ever experienced. The variety and scope of the tour you arranged was incredible.
We were able to experience the good, the bad, and the ugly and came away with a most comprehensive sense of what is going on in South Africa, not only in the arts, but in general”.
– Lowery Sims, curator: Museum of Arts & Design, New York
Creativity in South Africa spans cultures and concepts, inherited traditions and contemporary talents.
”Many traditional skills have been passed down over generations, using local materials, indigenous knowledge systems, ancient techniques to make daily objects for daily use – secular, sacred or ceremonial”.
– Craft South Africa: Sellshop, Goldblatt & Hemp
”What has most rekindled craftsmanship is the growing market for something distinctive in the world of sameness”.
– Time Magazine
|EXCHANGE||TO CONVERT CURRENCY|
|TO BOOK||AND TO FIND OUT MORE|
Craft Art Route Day Tours: Description
Craft artists are pioneering new frontiers of creative expression in and around Cape Town and among the breath-taking Cape Winelands.
These day tours introduce you to cutting-edge artists and crafters who are forging a fresh identity and reinterpreting their heritage in exciting new ways.
We offer four shape-shifting day tour choices, with mix and match variations …
THEN & NOW
In the heart of the city contrast a priceless 18th century townhouse and museum with a studio that specialises in the uniquely African genre of wire art.
Meet artists in an interactive workshop, hearing about their sustainable projects and social upliftment.
Discover how design, art and craft are providing a third way between entrepreneurship and aid.
Meander around urban galleries and a treasure trove of quintessentially local, hand made objects.
Uncover artistry that pays tribute to the past and present in an unexpected Waterfront location.
EMERGING & ESTABLISHED
Explore the up-and-coming inner city precinct of Woodstock, visiting craft hubs, bespoke art publishers, vigorous young designers, leading art galleries.
Travel south to the coastal villages of Kalk Bay and Simons Town, taking in showcase galleries that stretch the power of innovation and production, and witness various bronze casting practises in a leading foundry.
Visit a creative hub within a historic complex of working studios. Wander around this rustic setting, interacting with craftsmen such as hip recyclers, pioneering jewellers, ceramicists, weavers, furniture makers, a publisher or two and a musical instrument maker.
Then via Constantia Nek cross the mountain to Hout Bay,meeting with artists in collective initiatives that facilitate skills development, encourage innovation and employ environmentally conscious design. Hear their stories and be uplifted too on this enlightening and inspirational day tour.
Encounter brand name luminaries, studded among the Stellenbosch winelands and Franschhoek and Paarl valleys.
Look over several private art collections on premier wine estates and while crossing panoramic mountain passes.
Along the way, you’ll have the chance to glimpse the studio of a world-recognised metal sculptor, meet a distinguished ceramicist or a light sculptor & passionate people-empowerer.